Men, Amazing Sex and Living Together – The Single Man 101- Power and Promise under God. A bible study for small groups that every man MUST read. Do it now before it’s too late!
Men, Sex and Living Together – The Single Man, – Power and Promise under God
(http://www.mensgroup.org –“Original Study”)
PRAY: A suggested opening prayer for small group members or individuals to invite God to connect as we seek Him in his Word. Feel free to add your own words, “in prayer.”
Dear Lord. Please help us to realize the true purpose of a sexual relationship between a man and a woman. As a man I enjoy sex, but help me to better understand God’s “intent” for a man and a woman to be of one flesh.
READ: Scripture Reference. Hebrews 13:4 “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.” I Corinthians 5:1. “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife.” Holy Bible – New International Version
The suggested devotional below focuses on drawing individuals and small group members deeper into the text and helps in personally engaging with Scripture.
As men we all know that sex is amazing.
Why is sex so good? Sex is good because “God intentionally created it good.” Several years ago a Men’s Small Group leader called Chuck talked to us about the fantastic job God did when he created woman. Chuck would say, “Just think of all the nice soft and gentle curves. I think you guys will certainly agree God did a pretty good job.”
There are numerous Scripture verses relating to sex. Many verses deal with immorality, adultery, sexual perversion and moral decay. If you think the topic of “sex and sexual issues” is only a modern problem, think again.
Sex is a frequent topic in both the Old and New Testament because God “knows us men.” He knows our strong “need for sex” but also knows “our weaknesses” where sex is involved.
Sex is a topic too vast and complex to address in just a few paragraphs. The intent of this Bible Study is to raise sex as a topic of discussion among men and introduce a few ideas to help us in this critically important area.
In today’s world many couples meet, have an attraction for each other, and hop into bed.
Frequently, they then live together unmarried. Speaking more from a “practical standpoint” than from a “Biblical standpoint,” why could engaging in sex in this manner be potentially harmful to a long term relationship? What are some of the challenges this could bring to the relationship?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guys, it is not good, especially if you are very interested in a certain “special” woman. Sex is so powerful and compelling it doesn’t let the two of you “get to know each other” as sex usually takes “center stage.” Sex overwhelms the natural process of learning about the other person which is extremely important for a long term committed and healthy relationship. It diminishes the spiritual and intimate nature of two souls coming together.
What do you think about the idea of waiting for sex? Why do you agree or disagree from a practical point of view?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Biblically speaking, it is “very clear” that God meant sex to be between a man and a woman who are married. He meant it to be very special where man and woman “become one.”
It is written in Genesis 2:24. “1 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.” Holy Bible – New International Version.
Three questions below to help us consider how this passage applies Biblically to our own life.
1. Did you know that sex was such a frequent “topic of discussion” in the Bible? Do the Scripture passages above cause you to pause and reconsider your actions in this area? Why or why not?____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. If you are currently living with a woman (or thinking about it) and not married, do you think this is healthy for the relationship from both a practical and a Biblical standpoint? Why or why not?_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. Are you willing to at least rethink the arrangement and consider changing? Would you consider discussing this topic with another Christian man? Why or why not? _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DISCIPLESHIP STUDY QUESTIONS:
Four suggested discussion questions to encourage individuals or small group members to better understand and apply Scripture to their lives.
1. In 1 Corinthians 6:18 it says, “Flee from sexual immorality.Any other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.” And, in Proverbs 31:3it says, “Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings.” Holy Bible New International Version
Are you surprised how seriously God judges sexual immorality? Does this awareness cause you to re-evaluate yourself regarding your sexual attitudes and actions? Why or why? _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. In Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians he discusses several areas of concern including sexual immorality. In 2 Corinthians 12:21 it says, “I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.”
What do you think Paul mean when he says, “my God will humble me before you? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Paul would probably not be discussing the topic of “immoral things you have done – their lust and their sexual sins” if these type of things were not occurring. What do you think about this?____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. It says in I Corinthians 7:2, “But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.” Holy Bible New International Version
What is the consequence of “immorality” on the sanctity of marriage? Based upon what you have learned, do you think this statement should also apply to unmarried men and women? Why?____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. God’s blessing of marriage and satisfying sex. Read 1 Corinthians 7:3 which says, “The husband should fulfill his martial duties to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.” Holy Bible New International Version. Are you surprised that God wants couples to enjoy the “sexual” part of marriage? Why are you or aren’t you surprised? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Suggested Closing Prayer
Dear Lord, please guide me/us on a daily basis to remember and heed your words regarding sexual purity. Help me/us to remember when I do fall sort of your expectations, I can confess my sin(s) and know that you will not leave me.
All our Blessings, Men’s Group Foundation, Inc.
(A mensgroup.org “Original Study”)